Thoughts on life and Scripture...

Saturday, April 4, 2015

To Marvel at Life

 
March 2, 2013 and April 28, 2013.
Both are days that are forever etched in my memory.
They are days when I began to realize just how precious each child is.
They are days when I finally understood the pain of an empty-armed mother.
They are the days I found out I had lost a child.
No, they had not been born yet.
I never saw their little toes, their tiny hands, their sweet mouth and nose.
I never smelled that newborn smell.
I never held them in my arms.
They died hidden from my eyes.
They died while still in the womb.
 
Some months later, I was pregnant again.
Very cautious.
But hopeful.
At 11 weeks the bleeding started.
I curled up on the couch and cried.
Emailed a friend to ask for prayers.
I was certain I had lost a third.
That evening, I headed to the ER.
'Just to know for sure,' I told my husband.
They got me in pretty quick.
And, the doctor started asking questions, then checked for a heartbeat.
thump....thump....thump....
I had a hard time believing it but there it was.
thump....thump....thump....
Weeping, I thanked the Lord that this baby was still alive.
 
About 30 weeks later, I'm holding my newborn daughter.
My 7th child.
My 5th child that I am privileged to hold, to smell, to gaze on.
And all I could do and can do is marvel.
Marvel at the beautiful gift of life that God has given us.
Marvel at how any child is born alive.
Marvel at the beauty that is my daughter.
Marvel at the precious gift that each of our children is.
Marvel at the graciousness of God to let us hold and love and care for these children.

'For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your books were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.'
Psalm 139:13-16

~fenna


1 comment:

  1. Yes how precious they all are - how wonderful that they are forever rejoicing with Him! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete